Theresa's Reviews > Henry and June: From "A Journal of Love"--The Unexpurgated Diary of Anaïs Nin

Henry and June by Anaïs Nin

Nov 21, 07

Recommended for: creative souls, passionate lovers, voyeurs
Read in January, 1997

The way in which Anais Nin writes in "Henry and June" is obsessive, cyclical, repetitive, poetic, and passionate. I think that the dizzying and obsessing of the sexual and emotional aspects of her life echo the inner thoughts of many. Nin's diaries have been questioned, but the validity of the historical facts should not deter anyone from reading this incredibly intimate and self analyzing text. Clearly it is about this one woman's perception of her daily life. Her inner struggles and how they affect her personal and creative affairs.

When I read this book I found it at once erotic and reflective. It contained the musings of a dreamer attempting to make dreams a reality. True she may have been selfish, and even lived a life that most would disapprove of, but she was a passionate woman that lived her life on her terms, which historically speaking, was quite outrageous for her time. And for that, I admire her, and her work.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Henry and June.

message 1: by Nel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nel Great review, thanks for sharing! It's refreshing to hear from someone on here with a balanced opinion.