Nathan's Reviews > Geary's Guide to the World's Great Aphorists

Geary's Guide to the World's Great Aphorists by James Geary

Nov 03, 07

bookshelves: humor, reference
Recommended for: I plead the pith.
Read in October, 2007

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking." Geary's Guide to the World's Greatest Aphorists, by the aptly named James Geary, is the latest addition to my list of fun reference books. Many of the entries will be familiar, even if the original author isn't. Aphorisms are fun like that. I especially love it, though, for being the first quote book I've owned to include Steven Wright. (My favorite stand-up. "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.") There's the usual suspects in the Witty Quote Book line-up, of course. There's the classics from Dorothy Parker, like "I am a cynical bitch.", and of course George Bernard Shaw's greatest hits, like "I am secretly, painfully in love with Oscar Wilde." But you'll also discover new artists you've possibly never heard of, and maybe put a name to that quote about fairness and the law that your mother used to use on you when you were twelve. Geary gives a brief biography of each aphorist, and the groupings make a giggling bit of sense. A fun book.

NC
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geary's Guide to the World's Great Aphorists.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meri (new)

Meri I'm confused. Those last examples are quotes, not aphorisms.

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin Hmm. An aphorism is nothing, if not a quote.

message 3: by Meri (new)

Meri Touche. All aphorisms are quotes, all quotes are not aphorisms.

Nathan Meri. You should be a superhero. And your superpower could be making funny reviews unfunny with commentary.

NC

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin "I plead the pith"? Ha! You're using a pun in a review of a book of aphorisms! That's crazy!