Jason's Reviews > The Lost Symbol

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Feb 22, 10

bookshelves: fiction, mystery, thriller
Read from January 22 to February 20, 2010

As a member of The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints I was impressed with Brown's understanding of spiritual principles that have endured since the dawn of time. Foremost among those mentioned in this story is the concept of Apotheosis, or the idea of mankind constantly working to refine themselves until they eventually achieve exalted or Godlike status. The idea is that each of us has been imbued with incomprehensible gifts and abilities that, when fully actualized or manifested, allow us to be redeemed from our carnal and hedonistic predispositions to something divine. This concept is presented again and again in this story and Brown does a nice job of showing how it is mirrored in early American artwork and political practice.

Having read everything else that Brown has written I felt that this story presented more realistic turns of events and intelligible clues whereas some of his earlier writings seemed too fast-paced and unrealistic. I enjoyed learning more of the Masons' history and, ultimately, the history of our political founding.

While Brown's writing isn't the best I've ever come across I have to say that I greatly appreciated the fact that this book had a positive message. It emphasizes the fact that each of us possesses marvelous potential for good. I would say that I even found the story to be uplifting in the sense that I finished the reading with the desire to be a better person and to do more good in this world. That can't ever be a bad thing!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Symbol.