Kristi's Reviews > Thaw

Thaw by Satya Robyn

Apr 30, 10

Read from March 04 to April 29, 2010

Thaw was a powerful and emotional journey. The story that Ruth told the reader through her private journal was so real that I almost felt as if I was invading her privacy. She was a deeply depressed character, and at first the premise that she was spending three months trying to decide if she would end her life was troubling for me. However, after reading several days worth of her thoughts, I was caught up in her life and her thoughts of why she might want to end it.

Fiona Robyn created a haunting picture of Ruth's character and all of the individuals in Ruth's life that helped to support her and cause her pain. I especially enjoyed how Ruth shared three memories that haunted her so much that she was reluctant to share them, even in her private journal. I had to keep reminding myself that I was reading fiction, because the journal seemed so much like a memoir - like I had glimpses of the struggles and thoughts of a real person.

Ruth's character was very real and the journey that she took was very moving. I felt that she challenged herself to make the most out of the three months: she included additional people in her life, she attempted to mend severed relationships, and she pursued new adventures - all to see if she would come to feel that her life was worth it.

I enjoyed Thaw very much and felt that I came to know Ruth, and maybe even a few things about myself that I didn't know before. Robyn's writing is powerful and emotional and she has a true gift for creating genuine and believable characters.

I recommend this novel for lovers of women's fiction and memoirs as well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thaw.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Satya (new) - added it

Satya Robyn Hi there Kristi - thanks for your lovely review of my book Thaw! I'm about to re-launch the book under my new name, Satya Robyn (after being ordained as a Buddhist priest in December). If you had a moment, it'd be wonderful if you could copy your review across onto the new page on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Thaw-ebook/dp/B..., as it makes a big difference in helping spread the word about my books. If not of course no problem at all, and I'm very glad you enjoyed meeting Ruth.
Warmest, Satya