Roxane's Reviews > Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation

Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation by Matt Myklusch

Apr 27, 10

bookshelves: agency-author, children, fantasy, middle-grade, science-fiction
Read from January 25 to 28, 2010

This was a nice traditional science-fantasy middle grade novel - young orphaned boy who can't seem to fit in, discovers he's got superpowers and gets swept away into a fantastical world in which some of his favorite comic characters turn out to be real - with a nice twist in the end that's definitely got me wanting to read its sequel.

Despite the traditional tropes common in most fantasy, coming of age novels, I think this book would make a wonderful read for younger readers not quite as jaded as older fantasy readers.

I thought Matt Myklusch may have spent a little too long on world-building - though I'll admit the Imagine Nation is an awesome world in which it's difficult to get bored, - I would have appreciated for the action scenes to be a bit less concentrated at the beginning and the end of the novel and more evenly spread out throughout the book. But hey, it's a debut novel and what's more, it's the first title in a series, so description and set up are essential... and at least we didn't get 100 or so pages on Hobbit life and genealogy, so I suppose it could be worse!

Overall, part fantasy with its superheroes, part science fiction with its alien robots, this is a very enjoyable read I would recommend to younger readers. Waiting for the sequel...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation.