Caroline Alicia's Reviews > Sickened: The Memoir of a Munchausen by Proxy Childhood

Sickened by Julie Gregory

Jan 21, 10

bookshelves: jan2010, family, coming-of-age, nonfic
Read in January, 2010

The entire time I read this book, I was screaming in my head. Giving the riot act to the doctors to the father to the social workers that turned a blind eye. I was just as bewildered and pleading as Julie as, watching the doctors slice her open when nothing was wrong.

I understood Julie. I can remember countless times, my eyes screamed volumes that no one wanted to hear or understand. And how everyone turns away, or shakes their head in disagreement but not one single adult will stand up for you. I understand what it's like to be a child confronted the rage of an adult, having done nothing to cause it. How you try to make yourself small, almost physically curling into yourself to try to be small and out of sight. I know what it's like to try to do as many after school activities as possible because home was the last place you wanted to go back to.

This is why this story spoke volumes to me- it was the desperation. What turns my stomach even more hours after reading this book, is that children go through this everyday. The spend their childhood afraid, and one they hit adulthood they simply can't be adult. They have to work years at undoing what was done. It's just so unfair.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sickened.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Thanks for sharing your experience. It is in these moments I wish I could be omnipotent and protect all children at once all the time until Christ returns. Love to you and hugs to you across the space between us.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary I'm sorry you had to go through such a hellish childhood, Caroline, and hope that your life is better now that you're no longer at the mercy of your abusive dad.

Laura I too am sorry you had to experience that. Reading this book, and I'm only half way through, it's good but it makes me so angry, not just at the parents, but the doctors who are all seeing this girl and just not piecing it together. I suppose it was difficult to imagine in that time that a parent would be doing this to a girl, but why can't someone see? And you are right, it is incredibly unfair.

message 4: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey I tried to get the legal system intervene on behalf of a child within the context of a custody processing, and it as not until the courage of a judge to recognize "a problem" that intervention was had and a child ultimately saved. Nevertheless lt took 7 long years for justice to prevail.