Gina's Reviews > The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary

The Fred Factor by Mark Sanborn

Nov 03, 2007

did not like it
bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in November, 2007

I was asked to read the FF for work; it was part of a strategy to integrate professional development into our staff meetings. I understand why it was chosen: the book is short, positive, and has bulleted points. If you’re going to ask your staff to read something in their off-time, it’s a good idea to keep the required reading to a minimum.

Overall, I think most of the ideas in this book are good. How can I disagree with a man asking me to consider the needs of others, bring an upbeat attitude and thoughtfulness to my work, and to discover ways to renegotiate the possibilities for customer service? I really can’t—at least not in theory. The content did not frustrate me as much as the writing style

My issue is the generalized language used to communicate the ideas within the book. And the lack of any real strategies for improvement (Oh, I forgot the main strategy for achieving these goals is reading this book. Whew. So I’m almost there). The book is full of “goals” that have the appearance of simplicity, but if these characteristics are so easy and obvious, why are so many books written to educated people on them? It’s because motivational books give “goals” generously and strategies sparingly. At least this book holds true to that rule.

(I understand Sanborn is a speaker, so his writing is informed by those experiences—making the text more casual and exclamatory—but it still was problematic for me).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fred Factor.