Michael's Reviews > D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths

D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths by Ingri d'Aulaire

Jan 21, 10

bookshelves: childrens-books, 1960s

This book is probably just as good as D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, which I've bestowed five stars to. But the Greek myths are just inherently more cool than the Norse ones. The Minotaur? Hardcore. Medusa? Hardcore. Loki? Well, yes, Loki is pretty hardcore...and so is Thor...

Okay, I'll admit it, I'm just totally biased. In about 150 gorgeously illustrated pages, the D'Aulaires cover a huge number of the more important myths of Norse mythology. And what is so amazing is how concisely, yet comprehensively, they cover the most important elements of the myths. They do that, and they make it lots of fun to read.

Unfortunately, I discovered this one just a few years ago, so I wasn't as awed as I could have been. When I read their book on Greek myths in second grade, it started an obsession that lasted years.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths.

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I've never seen this one. Now I'm going to have to go hunt it down. My knowledge of Norse mythology is sadly lacking.

Michael Yes, if you can find it, it's definitely worth reading. And Norse mythology is, contrary to what I said in the review, pretty awesome.

I don't know whether or not they've done any other mythology books. I'll have to do some investigating.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) I suppose it depends on which one you found first. For me it was the Norse book. I read the Greek book in highschool and didn't love it as much. It's hard to beat the 2-page spread depicting the Norse view of the heavens! As a kid those slavering wolves gave me tingles of the spine.