Dev's Reviews > After the Night

After the Night by Linda Howard

Nov 03, 2007

bookshelves: 2007, romantic-suspense
Read in October, 2007

Ms. Howard has done it again. She’s written a novel that’s touched on a lot of my emotions in some way. She just has an incredible talent for writing strong characters, and After the Night is no exception.

I was immediately drawn to Faith ~ the unfairness of what’s happened to her in her life. How she didn’t have a childhood because she was too busy trying to take care of everyone around her. How she was labeled as “trash” because of the actions of her family. How heartbreaking it must have been for her to take care of her little brother, Scottie, and watch him slowly fade away day after day. And through it all, she became a strong, resilient woman.

Now, Gray. To be honest, I wasn’t even sure if I liked Gray up until page 248. How he treated Faith as a child, and then to revisit that all over when she moved back home. How unfair it was for Gray to hate Faith as much as he did ~ punishing her for the sins of her mother (and of his father, I might add). Why? That question just keep popping into my head. Why the fierce hatred for a woman who never did anything to anybody? Like I said, I just wasn’t sure I liked him. Until the boathouse. And then yowza. And then the bathroom in the courthouse. I was laughing one minute and heating up the next. Yowza again.

And then to my surprise, I discovered Gray actually had a sense of humor. Under his hard exterior was a man who genuinely cared for this woman. I loved their playfulness, their joking, their passion. Once the two characters finally came together it was a wonderful, wonderful ride.
Along with that was a small little murder mystery ~ which didn’t really play a large part of the story, but was there nonetheless. I had this one pegged right away, so the resolution came as no surprise.

All in all, I thought this was a Very Good read. This is another one for my keeper shelf and I look forward to revisiting my new friends in Prescott Parish again sometime in the future..

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Night.