Cathy 's Reviews > Body Movers

Body Movers by Stephanie Bond

Jan 21, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: ebook-read, mystery, read-in-2010, ebook-owned, zz-challenge-new-author-2010
Read from January 21 to 23, 2010

The weirdest thing happened when I got to the end of this book - I discovered "Questions for Discussion. As if this was some deep book that book clubs would be ordering by the dozen. Sometimes reading ebooks leads to unexpected surprises. But for some odd reason, none of the questions asked me to list the reasons why Carlotta and Wesley are TSTL (too stupid to live). But they are numerous. Too numerous to list here. I'll do my best to summarize.

Everyone makes mistakes, but Carlotta and her brother Wesley don't do anything right. Maybe I'm just too old, at the advanced age if 39.5, to appreciate the stupidity of youth. It irritates me too much. Gambling to the point of being in debt to 2 thugs who break into your house and threaten your family, buying guns, running drugs, driving with a suspended license, meddling in a murder case, and wasting more money in a day than I spend in a month is just a short list.

The weirdest thing is that I thought the auhor did a great job writing the characters. Every one, no matter how small, was vividly described and felt completely real to me. Maybe that's part of why the stupidity of the lead characters annoyed me so much, because I just couldn't enjoy watching them do so many potentially tragic things. As for Carlotta, our heroine, yes, every character in every mystery, especially cozy mysteries, is a horrible meddler. But her reasons were so weak. She had many really serious reasons to walk away, over and over, but she stuck it out to make sure a woman who treated her like dirt got justice. As though the police were unmotivated idiots.

I almost gave it 3 stars, because the characterization were so good. But then this whole rant poured out of me and I just couldn't. I do think a lot of people would like it more than I did, especially people under age 30.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Body Movers.

01/21/2010 page 186
48.44% "Good so far. Wesley is annoying, but feels genuine, so young. Feel bad for Carlotta, she's trying hard."
01/21/2010 page 187
48.7% "BTW, some reviewers compare to Evanovich - maybe because "Stephanie" Plum is a bail "bond" agent? They're not alike."
01/23/2010 page 283
73.7% "Lost patience with dumb teenager, woman who would rather be in debt than embarrassed. So young! To bed for me."
01/23/2010 page 348
90.63% "They have rapist kneecap breakers after them but she spends $300 to investigate the Botox clinic? TSTL, to quote a friend." 4 comments
01/23/2010 page 358
93.23% "June, who runs the cigar bar, is a great character. In fact, all the characters are vivid. Sometimes vividly annoying, but realistic."
02/25/2016 marked as: read

JG (The Introverted Reader) But for some odd reason, none of the questions asked me to list the reasons why Carlotta and Wesley are TSTL (too stupid to live).

Oh my goodness! I'm sorry you had to suffer through a bad book, but you just made my night with that line! It's great!

Chantal I think the sad thing is there are actually people THAT stupid out there - hence her vivid character description.