Tirzah's Reviews > Ride the Wind

Ride the Wind by Lucia St. Clair Robson

Mar 29, 2010

bookshelves: favorites, 2010, historical-fiction, american-indian
I own a copy

My word ... what a story! What a book! What an author! Kudos to Lucia St. Clair Robson! What a gifted author she is! And it's books like this that make me love reading so much!

I've read many books ~ first-hand accounts, biographies and historical fiction ~ recounting the true stories of whites taken captive by Native Americans. This, so far, is my favorite along with "Follow the River" (a truly incredible story of will-power and survival against nearly impossible odds). I think that both of these true stories are stories that I will never forget and that have impacted me.

This is a well-researched historical novel based on the true life of 9 year old, blond, blue-eyed Cynthia Ann Parker who lived in a frontier Texas fort with her family and relatives when a large war party of Comanche warriors showed up, raiding their fort and kidnapping Cynthia in 1836. Cynthia lived with the Comanches, as a Comanche, for 25 years before being "rescued" by the Texas Rangers. Her son was the legendary Quanah Parker who was the last chief to surrender and go live on a reservation.

From the other reviews I had read about this book I expected that I would probably be very upset reading the first part of the book when the horrifying raid and kidnappings initially happened but then my mind and heart would slowly be changed as I read how Cynthia adapted and embraced her new life as a Comanche. That was true. I enjoy books that give accounts from both sides of the story rather than focusing on one people group being the "good guys" over the other being the "bad guys". I feel that this book gives a fair account for both races.

I found this book to be heart-breaking, heart-warming and eye-opening to the ways of life in those days as well as giving me insight in to life as a Comanche. It is a splendid story ... beautifully, powerfully and descriptively written. It gives a well-researched account in to Texas pioneer life as well as Comanche culture. Anyone interested in Native Americans should definitely read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ride the Wind.