kelley's Reviews > We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Nurses Trapped on Bataan by the Japanese

We Band of Angels by Elizabeth M. Norman

Oct 28, 14

bookshelves: 2010, book-club, nonfiction, wwii
Read in February, 2010

I really enjoyed reading We band of Angels. Often the fear in reading true stories about less than pleasant events is that the book will focus on the negative. Dr. Norman did an excellent job of discussing the difficulties these women (and men) faced during the fall of Manilla, Bataan, and Corregidor and their subsequent internment, without dwelling too much on the horrible things that befell them. I think the attitude in her writing came from the women she interviewed for the story. These remarkable women found themselves in a horrible position but refused to give in to it. They remained determined to see it through and to do their best to help others survive as well. I found the whole story well researched, well written and enlightening. As I read I would ask myself, I wonder how I would react if I found myself in this same situation. Would I be as positve, as dedicated, as willing to keep working and to seeing it through. The General that they served under compared them to women pioneers and stated that the pioneers needed to look up to them for examples in courage and bravery. Since I hold pioneers in great esteem this statement really spoke to me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Band of Angels.