Jill's Reviews > Land of a Hundred Wonders

Land of a Hundred Wonders by Lesley Kagen

Jan 21, 10

Read in January, 2010

I found it interesting to read a book from the point of view of someone that is, as Gibby describes herself, Not Quite Right. Of course it isn’t always realistic but I think that is part of why I read books and why I have a hard time reading non-fiction. I like it when it couldn’t really happen. I got a kick out of Gibby and her inability to understand expressions like “Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater” or “Now the shoe is on the other foot.” This book is a murder mystery set in blazing hot Kentucky in the early 70’s. What actually happened to Buster Malloy was a surprise to me! Gibby's friendship with Billy and Clever and her relationship with her Grandfather was enjoyable to read. I laughed out loud on several occasions. I have to admit some of those occasions were due to Gibby’s occasional uncontrollable foul mouth. So beware there are some mild swears and some short descriptions of inappropriate behavior by a couple of cruel characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Land of a Hundred Wonders.