Jon's Reviews > The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd

The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Mar 07, 10

bookshelves: fiction, mystery, read-in-my-40s, moochable, kc-winter-reads
Recommended to Jon by: KC Public Library 2010 Adult Winter Reading Program 'Readers in
Read from February 22 to 25, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I almost gave this book three stars (or less) because of the ending. I was disgusted with Agatha Christie's cleverness. Up until the last couple of chapters, she strung me along, had me guessing, had me re-reading previous chapters to double-check facts. And them BAM! the last couple of chapters just made me cringe. I won't spoil the ending or what frustrated me so thoroughly.

All the characters were vividly drawn and enthralling. The plot and storytelling delivered page-turning fervor and middle-of-the-night marathons. The mystery ... I can't comment on without spoiling.

I've read two other mysteries by Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None and The ABC Murders. This mystery falls in between those two from a reading and likability standpoint.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd.

02/22/2010 page 1
02/23/2010 page 12
5.63% "Read two chapters and a dozen pages. First person PoV ... blech." 5 comments
02/23/2010 page 34
15.96% "'... just found Roger Ackroyd murdered.'"
02/24/2010 page 96
45.07% "The doctor goes for a Sunday drive to Marby."
02/24/2010 page 132
61.97% "Hercule conducts an experiment in the lobby at Fernly."
02/25/2010 page 152
71.36% "Dr. Sheppard is called to Liverpool to identify a man."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brad It's the next Christie I've to read. I am wary of the ending after reading your review, but that may help me overlook the problems. I'm still afraid, though. You didn't say much, Jon, but you said enough to scare me.

message 2: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon I predict you will love it Brad. You will appreciate the literary technique used by Chrsitie.

Brad You nailed it, Jon. I did. Scary how prophetic you were. And thanks for pushing me back to Christie. I wouldn't have read it without your review.