Kathleen Dixon's Reviews > Abandoned

Abandoned by Cody McFadyen

Jan 23, 10

bookshelves: crime-mystery-spy-thriller
Read from January 20 to 22, 2010

I worry about myself a little bit, enjoying a book this much when it has such evil in it - but I think I've worried similarly here on Goodreads in the past, so I won't go on about it.

I found this compelling reading. I like the way Smoky Barrett (the protagonist) shows an acceptance of people's differences. For example, she is friends with a hired assassin, even though she would never be that herself. I'm reminded of a friendship I had many years ago with a man who had been a mercenary. He was a real gentleman, and not the sort of person I ever would have imagined as a soldier for hire. But then, I was only in my 20s and didn't really have enough experience to be able to see "whole pictures". Even then, nevertheless, I was a pacifist. Yet we were developing a very real friendship, which may possibly have evolved into more. Sadly, he had a heart attack and died.

I like Smoky's philosophical musings. This is a particularly nice segment: (pg.5-6)
I close my eyes for a moment and listen. The ocean beats against the shore outisde like an unending exhalation of someone greater than us. If I was certain where I stood on God, I'd think of that sound as His heartbeat. But God and I are on shaky ground, and though we're closer now than we were years before, we rarely speak.
Something is out there, though. Something undeniable and endless rides those waves into the sand, again and again, in rhythm with the world's metronome. There is a vastness to the ocean in this place, a purity of sound and color and sweetness too unbearably wonderful to be an accident. I'm not sure it cares about us, whatever it is, but perhaps it keeps the world turning while we make our own choices, and perhaps that's the best we can ask for.

I like McFadyen's writing style. I shall put the other books (that come before this one) onto my Waiting to Read list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abandoned.