Scott's Reviews > The Difference Engine

Nov 03, 2007

did not like it
bookshelves: sci-fi
Read in November, 2007

Ach, I wish I could recommend this book more highly, but I was very disappointed in it.

Perhaps my expectations were too high, given how much I loved Gibson's "Neuromancer." However, "The Difference Engine" was over-long. The plot threaded together slowly. The character development of central characters was fragmentary and tended toward the superficial. The writing of the action scenes was unbelievably bad - the reader could barely piece together what was happening, and it almost made no sense. The denouement provided no satisfaction. I almost laughed aloud at Lady Ada giving a lecture talking about "resistors" and "capacitors" using the modern terminology as a possible way forward with computers. As I closed the book I had the distinct sadness that I had wasted two weeks of leisure reading time that I would not get back again!

I'm sorry if this seems overly critical, but really, when you read something by the author of "Neuromancer," you set the bar a little higher!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Difference Engine.

02/05/2016 marked as: read

James Eastwood If you've read anything else by the author of Neuromancer, you've probably realized by now that, sadly, you need to put your bar right back where it started.

Daniel Salvo The indifference engine would be a better title.