Jennifer Brearly's Reviews > Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins

Jan 20, 10

Read in October, 2008

This is a book that travels well. It moves from rural Nowhere to New York City to the wide open spaces of the Dakotas. It has the gemmy shine of a South American diamond, the sweetness of a Georgia peach, and the sauciness of a Louisiana chef. Robbins has written many fantastic books, some better than others. This is absolutely one of the best. What sets "Cowgirls" apart--though some will not agree with me--is its irreverent delight in the human being.

The key humans in this case are Sissy Hankshaw, a woman born to ride the open roads--literally, and Bonanza Jellybean, a cowgirl so wild and free she makes tumbleweeds nervous. A host of other characters pepper this wonderful tale of how Sissy follows her destiny to find her place in the arms of a New York milquetoast, the bed of a prairie wildman, and the heart of the cowgirls at the Rubber Rose Ranch. No matter which person we are with as a reader, though, we want these people in our lives. We love them, sometimes because we hate them, because they are the extremes of humans just being.

"Cowgirls" is a wild work of fiction. It is highly improbable. It is sinfully decadent. Oh, and the author writes a version of himself into the story while simultaneously carrying on conversations with his reader. It breaks all the rules of storytelling. But So What? The charm and style of this novel make its fanciful tangents all the more delectable. If this novel is a Georgia peach, may the world never leave the hedonistic Eden of Tom Robbins' delightful brain.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.