L-Crystal Wlodek's Reviews > The Keeping Quilt

The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco

Jan 24, 10

bookshelves: multicultural-literature
Read on January 21, 2010

This picture book, recommended for readers 8-10 years of age and has received the The Sydney Taylor Book Award. This book is about a family quilt, which is made from a basket of old clothes of several family members from many generations. The quilt represents the importance of family and heritage, as tells the story of the importance of the quilt, and all the events for which is has been a part (Sabbaths, weddings, births) as it has been passed along from mother to daughter through four generations for almost a century.

This book is extremely heartwarming and enjoyable. It really showcases the importance of family (alive and passed) as well as knowing ones heritage, and family history and finding ways to keep it alive. It also shows the importance and comfort that is brought by finding ways to share life and important events with the people that you love, even if they are not able to be there physically. The quilt symbolizes family, unconditional love, and faith. The illustrations are just as heartwarming, in addition to being real, detailed and unique.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Keeping Quilt.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Polacco is a master at using the inspiration of her family history to create stories that connect to readers, even when their experiences and backgrounds are vastly different. I love the way Thankyou, Mr. Falker brings me to tears every time I read it aloud. Polacco's illustrations of her younger self capture a huge range of emotions, as do the illustrations in all of her picture books.

message 2: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Giordano Crystal,

I love your clear description of the purpose and importance of the family's quilt and what it resembles in their lives. It is truly a security blanket, full of hopes, dreams, struggles, aspirations, and memories. Students who read this text can regognize the importance of their own families and their "family treasures" and can realize that a treasue can be a simplistic object or small token. In today's world, where so many materialistic things are valued and deemed important, this story is a good reminder of how something small can mean so much to so many people. This can be a truly moving piece for all who read it!

Jaclyn Giordano

L-Crystal Wlodek It definitely was a moving piece. I was definitely able to connect to it, which is why I think I enjoyed it so much.