Callista 's Reviews > Hogfather

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-satire, four-star-novels, fairytale-myth
Read from November 27 to December 04, 2011

As usual, plenty of humour with an edge. I did occasionally wonder where and how all the plot threads were going to meet up and how they were connected. I'm not sure the Auditors were strictly necessary to the plot, but maybe they figure elsewhere in Discworld novels I haven't read yet.
I enjoyed the hijinks at Unseen University more than I expected to. The daft old wizards were funnier than I'd seen them be before; underling wizard Ponder and the thinking machine, Hex, are charming.
The send-up of Christmas commercialism and the Santa idea is fantastic. This is the first Discworld novel I've read in which Death plays a major part, and I really like how he attempts to understand people and revive belief in the Hogfather. His attempts to improve upon customs are great, especially the sequence at the Hogswatch Grotto in the "Maul" and his attempts to fairly redistribute wealth. Because I work for a nonprofit agency that gets swamped with donations in November and December (and struggles to meet needs in June), the commentary about a lot of people's true motivations for holiday giving really hit the mark.
Death's granddaughter, Susan, is an excellent character, another of Pratchett's very cool females; and I really enjoyed her parts of the plot, too, whether she's dealing with the monsters under the bed or trying to figure out why Death's flying around, going, HO HO HO.
I'm continuously amazed how Pratchett manages to point out the absurdities of the human condition while still being such a humanist and championing the power of imagination.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hogfather.