Ariella's Reviews > M. Butterfly

1930736
Jan 20, 2010

it was ok
Read from January 20 to February 02, 2010

At times with books under 150 pages, I question can it really leave readers with a profound message and impact. M. Butterfly caused me to think further about gender stereotypes in China and the United States. As a result I found myself questioning what was the historical base which crafted these gender roles? Though M. Butterfly defiantly prompted discussions at my family dinner table, the plot line touches on fantasy, steering away from realistic situations. How could Gillmard mistake a man for a woman after knowing them for twenty years, sleeping together, and sharing a house? This just seems completely unrealistic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read M. Butterfly.

01/20/2010 page 36
36.0% "I enjoy it's twist of humor. I chose to read it because of Merchant Of Venice, which has sparked my interested in plays."
01/26/2010 page 72
72.0% "Very odd, can't say I am enjoying it. M butterfly has an interesting plot line however I can not get past the inferiority portrayal of women"
01/31/2010 page 84
84.0% "M Butterfly has become weirder and weirder as I read more. Finally made the connection to Madame Butterfly though."