Linda I's Reviews > The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, Volume One

Jan 20, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: gordon-dahlquist, fantasy, gothic
Read from July 09 to 17, 2010

This story was certainly imaginative and full of action, however I never found myself fully engaged. Bits and pieces were thrilling to read, but overall it didn't capture my attention as much as I had hoped. The writing is superb and a bit reminiscent of Wilde. The story comes from the points of view of the three main characters, often allowing the story to backtrack in order to understand each character's involvement at certain points in the narrative. Miss Celeste Temple discovers her engagement to Roger Bascombe, an up-and-coming Ministry official, abruptly ended by a simple note. A bit peeved and more than curious as to why Roger's feelings have changed so quickly, she follows him aboard a train and plunges head-first into a conspiracy that is not fully revealed in the first volume. However, what Celeste discovers includes a conspiracy where sadistic acts of corporeal multilation occur in an effort to transcend the body beyond the limits of biology. Some information about the elusive Glass Book and the Glass Cards are provided, but not fully understood by the reader. After Miss Temple's rendezvous with the secret society, she barely escapes with her life but is everafter hunted by those who wish to protect their secret. Enter Cardinal Chang, an assassin of renown hired to track and kill Miss Temple, and Dr. Svenson, a German physician who discovers his Prince has become involved with this mysterious society. Chang, Svenson and Miss Temple eventually form an alliance as mercenaries are now after all three of them. However, Miss Temple, in a fit of unreasonable anger, leaves the men only to be abducted. End of volume one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, Volume One.