Juli's Reviews > The Secret of Everything

The Secret of Everything by Barbara O'Neal

Jan 24, 10

bookshelves: 2010, new-in-2010, own-and-read
Read from January 20 to 24, 2010

I really liked the premise of this book, and for the most part I really loved the way the author presented the story from varying points of view, which was only rarely distracting. I love the characters, especially the canine ones. There was a point in the middle of the book when I got a little tired of some of the over-the-top descriptions and emotions, which I believed were the signs of inexperienced writing, and I was beginning to doubt the plot would ever resolve itself. I had to make the decision whether to stop reading altogether or to push through it and finish.

I'm glad I read to the end, because I ended up crying in spots and laughing out loud in others, which always seems to make up for any small faults I find along the way when I read. Our protagonist, Tessa, was feeling lost in more than one way when she ended up in the mountains of New Mexico, where she had lived when she was very small. But she went there on purpose to find out more about her past. And she ended up finding a lot more about herself. Which I know sounds cliched or whatever, but so much of this was completely unique and beautiful and honest.

Religion was definitely not a focus of the book, but this line was, I think, my favorite, almost at the end of the story: But she did believe in something. Something that had brought her back to her sister, something that lent healing. Something that had made dogs.

Because, I mean... how could you not believe in something that had made dogs, right? I instantly love people who love dogs. :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of Everything.

01/20/2010 page 170