Jenn's Reviews > The Incredible Double

The Incredible Double by Owen Hill

Feb 05, 10

bookshelves: mystery, fiction, e-book, novel
Read from January 20 to February 05, 2010

"Marvin put up an ideological argument for gutting Wally like a trout. We shook our heads. At least one bullet in his midsection? For the people? Again we said no. We loaded our Glocks. Marvin caught my squeamish look. 'One bullet is worth a thousand bulletins!' Out the door and into the Buick."

This is a pretty good sample of the prose style of this book, which is consistent but somehow also alternates between entertaining and frustrating. The book itself is a little frustrating -- not quite a mystery, not quite action, more like a screwball comedy but with a heavy hat-tip to Chandler and, maybe, Carver. The protagonist and narrator is Clay, a book seller turned poet turned unlicensed detective in Berekley, California. He's given what seems like a too-easy job, by a guy who turns out to be the double of a drug-store chain tycoon. Things get weirder and weirder, and it doesn't take long for Clay to turn on his employer and start trying to figure out what's really happening.

I was really amused by parts of it, but I had no trouble walking away from it for a week in the middle of the action. I just didn't care very much about the characters -- well, the main character in particular. His accomplices - Marvin, "an anarchist soldier of fortune," and Bailey, "a transsexual ex-FBI agent," - are much more compelling than he is.

Oh, and the title? It's got another, more superficial, meaning. Here's a bit of dialogue between Clay, the main guy, and his friend Marvin:

"Have you done the double?"

The fountain of youth, the myth of paradise, pie in the sky, the incredible double fuck. Easier now, with the drugs. But I hadn't gotten around to those yet. I was still doing it on the natch, as was Marvin. To him tell it Ten years my senior!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Incredible Double.

01/20/2010 page 41