Jhoanna's Reviews > Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler

Jan 20, 2010

bookshelves: dysfunctional-families-are-us, suburban-distopia, jane-smile-s-100-books, you-need-to-buy-this-book
Read from January 20 to 29, 2010

Jane Smiley totally nails this one - it's a real pleasure to read something so well-crafted and well-observed, about something as ordinary as one family's history, of love and isolation, how the hurts of the past never really leave us and how our families are our families, much as we may try to deny them.

Here's Jenny Tull reflecting on the surprise marriage proposal letter she's received from a college classmate and crush.

"What appealed to her more was the angularity of the situation--the mighty leap into space with someone she hardly knew. Wasn't that what marriage ought to be? Like one of those movie-style disasters--shipwrecks or earthquakes or enemy prisons--where strangers, trapped in close quarters by circumstance, show their real strengths and weaknesses."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant.

01/20/2010 page 66
21.78% "Loving it so far - one of the books Jane Smiley read during writing "13 Ways of Looking at the Novel""