Stefan's Reviews > Grand Conspiracy

Grand Conspiracy by Janny Wurts

Jul 07, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from June 21 to 30, 2010

It gets harder and harder to review each subsequent novel in Janny Wurts’ excellent epic fantasy series THE WARS OF LIGHT AND SHADOW without either repeating yourself or including spoilers for earlier volumes. My previous reviews have highlighted the series’ complexity, level of detail, deep characterization, gorgeous prose, and inventive descriptions of magic. All of those positives can again be found in Grand Conspiracy, the fifth book in the overall series and second in the Alliance of Light arc.
So, what’s left to say? Grand Conspiracy will not disappoint anyone who has read the previous 4 novels in the series. As a matter of fact, if (like me) you felt that the previous installment, Fugitive Prince, moved more slowly than the first 3 books in the series, because as the first book of this 5 book arc it contains more set-up than usual, you’ll probably be happy to hear that, despite some ebbs in the plot, Grand Conspiracy moves things along at a more solid pace again.
As always, you’ll also encounter a mid-novel peak in the action, followed by a relentless rush to an exciting resolution that, at the same time, sets things up effectively for Peril’s Gate, the next novel in the series. Since that’s also the middle book in the overall series (book 6 of a projected 11 novels), I’m 100% sure that it’ll be yet another memorable novel.
So, to avoid spoilers and repetition, I’ll keep this review short and simple, and leave it at that: this is another great book in what’s quickly becoming one of my favorite fantasy series. Now all the books are available and in print again, and with the ninth book in its final stages of completion, you’re seriously missing out if you’re not reading what’s sure to become a classic of epic fantasy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grand Conspiracy.

message 1: by Camille (new)

Camille I think I might attempt to reread these and catch up with you. :-)

Stefan There are lovely new paperback editions with new covers by Janny. I've read the first 3, have the next 3 on the shelf, and 2 more are due to be re-released in April. I actually updated the editions here on GoodReads myself because I'm kinda obsessive about having the right edition/cover in my library.