MissDziura's Reviews > Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin LutherKing Jr.

Martin's Big Words by Doreen Rappaport

Jan 23, 10

bookshelves: multicultural-multiethnic-and-inter
Read in January, 2010

Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is an excellent picture book for students of all ages, even though the book is intended for grades 1-3. I gave this book four stars (reallly liked it) mainly because of the unique format of the book. As opposed to just "telling" the story of Dr. King's life, Rappaport starts the story with Martin encountering the hurtful words WHITE ONLY and his mother's subsequent explanation that he is was "as good as anyone." The story of his life continues through the use of important words and phrases that coinceded with different parts of his life. Through the mixture of biography and quotes, the reader not only gets a sense of the person Dr. King was, but also the ideas that he developed, or that were developed because of him.
Students are familiar with Dr. King's most famous words, "I have a dream..." but this book captures other words and phrases of Dr. King that gives the reader a sense of how powerful word(s) can be. This book would be an excellent addition to any classroom library, not only because of the important story but also as a tool for students to discover the impact of a word or a quote on all people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Martin's Big Words.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

L-Crystal Wlodek I too, read this book this week and really liked it. I thought the illustrations were unique, colorful, and added a lot to the book. I agree that the book paints an accurate picture of MLK, and the weaving together of the authors words and actual words spoken by MLK is particularly moving. I thought the information about important dates surrounding the Civil Rights Movement and a list of additional books and websites to go to for more information also was a great piece to add to the end of the book. I am glad you liked the book as much as I did.

MissDziura I am glad you mentioned the additional books and websites listed at the end of the book. I think it could be especially useful with this text, if used with older readers, to give them places they could go for more resources related to MLK. A larger, more in-depth project about the impact of his words could be created using this text as a jumping off point.

Katina I bought this book last year and loved it. It is so engaging! Many teachers tend to read this book when celebrating MLK's birthday but I think it is a great book to incorporate anytime of the year. There are endless possibilities for using this book in a classroom.