Tatiana's Reviews > The Murder of Bindy MacKenzie

Jan 28, 10

bookshelves: 2010, ya, favorites, aus-nz
Recommended to Tatiana by: E. Lockhart
Read from January 26 to 27, 2010

"The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie" is my favorite Moriarty novel so far. I guess I am now used to the author's writing style, or maybe I can identify with Bindy better than with any other of her characters (I only pray I wasn't quite like Bindy in my overachieving teen years).

Bindy was introduced in Moriarty's previous books as an annoyingly smart student with killer typing skills. She excels at everything, she is very driven and thinks of herself as superior to other Ashbury students. Only in her run for excellence she builds walls around herself and misses out on friendships with her peers.

As usual, Moriarty's books are never just about teen issues, there is always some kind of mystery or crime involved. Same goes for this particular book. This story is not just a sort of makeover tale in which Bindy realizes her wrongs and changes herself by becoming more accessible to people around her, but a murder mystery too, and Bindy is at the center of it.

Once again, this novel has its signature Moriarty epistolary style and is made entirely out of notes, memos, and diaries. It is hard to put down and it gives a great insight into teen minds. I liked getting to know Bindy, I enjoyed her nerd wit and her condescending ways, but I also enjoyed finding out what exactly had made Bindy the way she was.

Simply, a great novel. I am looking forward to the next Moriarty novel which is out this year and, surprise-surprise, set in Ashbury High and has many of my old favorites in it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder of Bindy MacKenzie.

01/27/2010 page 120

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (last edited Jan 28, 2010 06:50AM) (new)

Hannah Tatiana,
Would this be appropriate reading for Hanneybean (i.e. no overt sex or aggressively dark)?

Tatiana I think it would be fine. No sex and nothing really dark. Mostly family issues, but again no abuse or such.

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Great - she might like something like this. Thanks.