Victoria's Reviews > The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Oct 09, 12

bookshelves: dystopia
Read from September 11 to 12, 2008 — I own a copy, read count: 1

My own introduction to Atwood’s work came when I was in high school. Atwood really is a great writer - I have yet to be disappointed by one of her books. I really enjoyed this haunting, dystopian novel. Written in 1985, the most alarming thing about reading this book today is that some of her rather dire predictions have more or less come true (the rise of terrorism, religion and politics still not being as separate as the Constitution intended). So while these things may have been shocking to read about back twenty-five years ago, they aren’t quite as horrifying now. Still, the book remains relevant, particularly in how it has influenced the new breed of YA dystopian novels. It’s definitely a rather depressing book, but a very fascinating one from first to last page. There are some uplifting elements to it, but considering that it has set the standard to dystopian novels, it’s about as dark and depressing as you might expect. Still, I enjoyed reading it, and think anyone interested in this sub-genre of fiction, this is definitely must-read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid's Tale.