Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Demon's Night

Demon's Night by Guido Henkel

Apr 05, 10

bookshelves: horror, kindle-book, neo-pulp-fiction, victorian, asian-hero-or-heroine, gaslit-horror, occult-detective, short-story, demon
Recommended for: fans of victorian/classic horror/pulp fiction
Read on April 05, 2010, read count: 1

What a delightful story. As a fan of the Victorian setting in horror, I had a lot of fun reading this story. Jason Dark is a great new hero for me. This urbane, kind gentleman is brave enough to take on a demon with the power to tear him to shreds. He's a ghosthunter with an arsenal to make a lover of arcane artifacts and gadgets very happy. And he's got the coolest sword. I'm jealous of that sword. I really am. This short story is full of action, barely slowing down once it gets started. Although not really scary, it did have some tense moments, and wonderful, cinematic atmosphere. And Mr. Henkel gets points for having a heroine who is a formidable warrior in her own right, Sui Lin, who is of Chinese heritage.

I can say one thing. I'd love to read more by this author. Are you running short of classic horror short stories or novels to read? Check this one out. It has the elements that make such fare so appealing. Fans of Sherlock Holmes, occult detectives, and classic action-adventure/pulp fiction with supernatural elements, be sure to check out Jason Dark-Ghost Hunter: Demon's Night.

Overall rating 4.5 out of 5.0 stars .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon's Night.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Guido Henkel Thanks for the nice write-up, Danielle. I appreciate the effort very much. Glad you enjoyed the read.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I truly enjoyed your story, Guido. :)

Aloha I love your review. Now I can't wait to start on it. I'm a huge fan of the Sherlock Holmes series and I love anything dealing with the martial arts. Looks like it would be an entertaining read.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Thoa! I think you'd like this one, in that case.

Aloha I started on it this morning. I'm really enjoying it. It has the feel of the Shetlock Holmes stories with a supernatural twist.

Aloha I put it in my top to reads. Thanks!

Guido Henkel Thoa, please feel free to let me know what you think of my Jason Dark stories. Which one are you reading, by the way. Personally, I think volume 6, "From a Watery Grave" is my favorite so far.

Aloha Guido, I'm reading (looking way, way up) Demon's Night, the title on top. I'm just getting back at you for the sunglasses thing. :o)

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm hoping to be able to write a review about it once I stopped being a nomad. My to review list is getting long. Thanks for bringing the Sherlock feel back with the additional delights of the supernatural and the martial arts. It's my perfect kind of detective story.

Guido Henkel With that in mind you would LOVE LOVE LOVE "From a Watery Grave." Send me PM with your email and the format you'd like, and I'd be happy to send you a copy.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Let me know if you find any other good ones like this, Aloha. I love these kinds of detective stories too.

Aloha I will, although I think you'd have a better chance of finding it than me. You have more of a variety of books behind you. I was a literature snob who only read things by dead authors, and requiring Clift Notes. Reading the popular genres is a whole lot more fun. They still have to have some meaning behind them, though.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Well said. I gave up on most literary fiction. It doesn't satisfy me the way genre fiction does.