Gill's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Jan 24, 10

bookshelves: 2010, month-01, booker-nominee
Read from January 20 to 21, 2010

This has been on my shelves for a good few years and at last I made myself read it, if only to free up some shelf space.

Inevitably of course, I thought it was great and will definitely reread it at some point in the future, as knowing the end will give a different light on earlier events.

No doubt there's loads of symbolism and allegory that went right over my head, and it certainly didn't convince me to believe in God. Taking the story at face value, the survival-at-sea stuff was fascinating, although the depiction of nature red in tooth and claw was quite hard to read at times. I was intrigued by Pi's arguments in favour of zoos.

And I loved that Pi was into Christianity, Hinduism and Islam – why can't you belong to more than one religion? Just cos it isn't the done thing? Thought-provoking.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

Seana I don't know that we are supposed to find it as a proof of God. I think it's more an exercise in how far belief will carry you. You believe in a boy trapped on a boat with a tiger? Fine. Now I'll show you an odd island with natives you've never encountered before--do you still believe me? Or when did your belief start to waver?

I think this kind of self-examination has something to do with the tale.