Geoffrey's Reviews > Band Fags!

Band Fags! by Frank Anthony Polito

Jan 23, 10

bookshelves: gay-fiction, humor

I may be a little biased. I was born in suburbs of Detroit in which this book is set, I'm 3-years older than the main character, I really really didn't want to be gay in high school and I was a band fag.

All disclaimers aside, this is a well written coming of age story set in the mid-80's in suburban Michigan. The two main characters, Jack and Brad, are best friends throughout the story as only school age friends can be - Sometimes they are inseparable, sometimes the fight and sometimes they flirt with intimacy. They both come to terms with being gay in an era that was not all that welcoming to gay people. And they do it in very different ways but in the end are still friends.

The book is written in a voice that is youthful, funny and with the correct slang as extra flavor.

I bought it as a recommendation off my kindle after thinking, from the cover and the title, that is was just another silly coming of age novel by yet another gay guy. And it is all that but it's much more. It's well written, it's not preachy and it's really a lot of fun.

Kinda makes me want to look up some of my old friends from high school.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Band Fags!.