Geoffrey's Reviews > Regression

Regression by Kathy Bell

Jan 24, 2010

bookshelves: alt-history, near-time

I've read quite a few time travel books and I like the idea used in this book. It's a new twist and very interesting concept. I've also read quite a few books that involve racing to avoid apocalypse. This is also a new twist in that they know a disaster is coming and when but they do not know what the disaster will be.

Throughout, Ms. Bell adds more details to both how the time travel works and the upcoming disaster. Each release of information made me feel I now understood what was going on, but each subsequent release twisted what I thought I knew. Very well done.

Unfortunately, the story started out sparse. It went from a character introduction to an accident to waking up in the past to acceptance to moving forward in a very short time. I almost stopped reading. But, once the real story started, I now think this sparsity was may have been a rush to get the really interesting bits going.

There are a couple sections where her philosophical underpinnings felt a little repetitive but not to any annoying level - noticeable but not a deal breaker.

Overall, this is a very good first novel. Pacing is good, the story is creative, there are plenty of unexpected turns and I am looking forward to her next novel in this series.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Regression.