Margaret's Reviews > The Undaunted : The Miracle of the Hole-in-the-Rock Pioneers

The Undaunted  by Gerald N. Lund

Jan 21, 10

Read in January, 2010

"The Undaunted" is the story of the Hole-in-the-Rock pioneers. I had not heard of these pioneers until reading this book. They were a group of Mormons living in Southern Utah area in the late 1800's and they were told by the First Presidency of the church that they needed to move to the southeast corner of Utah around the Four Corners to settle a new area. The journey was treacherous and most people didn't think it was going to be possible. As Gerald Lund as done in other novels he tells a historical account of the pioneers journey along with a fictional family he has added into the story.

The book is 800 pages so there is a lot of detail. There is also a lot of back story leading up to the actual expedition. To me it seemed like 800 pages was way too much. I found myself at around 600 pages getting a little frustrated because I wasn't done with this book yet. But Lund has done some amazing amount of research into the actual events and actual people of the journey. I finished it feeling very fascinated about the story and I was amazed at what these pioneers went through to follow the counsel of the First Presidency. They must have had very strong testimonies of the restoration of the gospel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Undaunted .