Jacqie's Reviews > Where the God of Love Hangs Out

Where the God of Love Hangs Out by Amy Bloom

Jan 20, 10

Read in January, 2010

Amy Bloom is a master of characterization. Her characters are unique, flawed, fascinating people. I'm sure I'd enjoy hanging out with them. She is also great at describing the undertones of love, both positive and negative. From a woman waking in the night next to her husband, finding herself weeping and crying the name of her lover (these people are in their late 50's) to the reluctance of a widow to enter her house, knowing that she will see her dead husband inside after not being able to contact him during a business trip, there wasn't a false note that I could find.
This book is written as an interlocking series of short stories that tell the progression of love and loss. There are two main sets of characters and the book is broken into sections that feature each set. The reason the book didn't get five stars is that it was so poignant that it gave me bad dreams. Those with more fortitude than I will give it five stars. But fair warning- the book is beautiful but will make you very conscious of the transitory nature of all relationships, whether by choice or not. I'm still trying to keep my blinders on, I guess.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the God of Love Hangs Out.