Liz's Reviews > Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking

Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo

Dec 11, 10

Read in December, 2010

The plethora of Chinese cookbooks out there would seem to indicated that people just might like Chinese food, but with a country as vast as China is, it's hard to encompass in a handful of pages limited to a cookbook. This is by far the best look at Chinese cooking that I have read yet - from the ingredients to the relatively short list of equipment, it has whet my appetite in more ways than one. Cantonese, Hunan, Sichuan - tip of the iceberg. American favorites like General Tso's chicken and mu shu pork are included (but not a chow mein to be seen), as well as dim sum classics like har gau. (Bonus for me: My favorite dish from PF Chang's is in here, the lettuce wraps with crispy rice noodles. This time though, they're made with duck. NOM.)

Quite necessarily, there is a long chapter on ingredients. I have long been fascinated by the pantry differences between cultures, and this book does not disappoint. Every recipe, every ingredient includes the Chinese characters as well. Useful!

Best book I have read yet if you want to start dipping your toe into the world of Chinese cooking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking.