Christina's Reviews > The Piano Teacher

The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee

Jan 19, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: garage-sale-pile

the salespeople at Borders did me wrong! in their defense, i had but 10 minutes on my parking meter and made a hasty decision to buy this book.

and what a book! what a dumb book. boring story. i kept waiting for the story to get moving and it never did.

this is a slow story about a bunch of english ex-pats living in hong kong and going to parties, having affairs, stealing things. Part 2 gets only mildly interesting when the japanese invade.

boring boring boring characters. i didn't really care what ended happening to them.

i found claire to be as chiffony ( i just made that word up) as her dresses which were incessantly described

i found will to be exceptionally dull, just like his name. will (my apologies to any wills out there). maybe he was totally hot and good in bed?

and trudy... ah trudy. could i punch her in face? pleaaaase????? she was so terribly annoying i couldn't take it. "spoiled brat" would sum her up. every time her name came up i was irritated.

perhaps the author is anitcipating this becoming a movie? so many visual details of dresses and surroundings and sweat beads running down claire's back that had nothing to do with the story. so the scene was set? for what? a dumb story?

ug. i hate dumb books.

and what's with the name "locket"? it reminds me of michael jackson's kid, Blanket.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Piano Teacher.

03/26/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Mata (new)

Mata All the reviews I've seen on this book just gush about it, I actually thought of reading it. Now I don't have too-- thanks for taking one for the team.

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Varney We all have different tastes in fiction. I, for one, loved this book as did most of the people in my book club.