Material Lives's Reviews > Red Prophet

Red Prophet by Orson Scott Card

Jan 19, 2010

did not like it

This book is so terrible that I cannot fathom how anyone not only finishes it but gives it anything more than 1 star. I love OSC's Ender and Bean series, but this book is poorly written, poorly researched, and poorly edited. Card has admitted that he can't be bothered to keep track of his plots and characters, and so his other series are always overrun with errors and inconsistencies, and his lack of interest in research is apparent in this silly work of "historical"fiction. What historical fiction really means here is that Card inserts famous historical figures (such as Andrew Jackson) willy-nilly into a book of magical fiction about pioneer America.

The book's greatest crime, though, is that it is racist while trying not to be. Card hits the reader over the head with black-and-white characters who perform racism with so much naivete that it is painful to even listen to the book. This befuddles me, as Card so elegantly treats the gray dimension of the saga between good and evil in his other books. This is noble savage vs. evil white man vs. benevolent, wise, and chosen magical Miller family.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Prophet.