Tyler's Reviews > She's Come Undone

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

Nov 02, 07

Recommended for: no-one

I really didn't like this book. It was recommended to me as an example of a man that could write with a womens voice. Nope. I didn't buy it. I also didn't buy his understanding of growing up as a fat girl. So Poo on you Mr. Lamb.
Here is a review by someone named Colin who I don't know but I completely agree with:
"Yes. I hated this book. I read it about ten years ago, and it pissed me off. To this day I refer to it as "that goddamn whale book." What repelled me then is that the main character, a fat girl, bonds with a real fucking whale and it's supposed to be Deep and Meaningful. "Yes, Mr. Whale. I am a fat girl. I, too, am a whale. We understand one another." Please. Try harder, Wally. Also, the fat girl hates herself so has a creepily awkward lesbian hookup with a janitor and subsequently kills said janitor's fish. I read that part as weird homophobic classist shit, at least back then, and that's the impression that will stand, because I'm never reading it again.

I don't know why everyone was beside themselves about Lamb as a man writing a female POV, either. Who fucken cares? How come no one makes a huge fuss like that when a woman writes a male POV? This book is so annoying. Argh."
Thank you Colin, well said.
47 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She's Come Undone.

Jamie I've been going back to add books I read as a kid--this was one of them. Of course, I wrote a glowing review and then started to read the others. Now, ten plus years later, I realize I probably wouldn't have LOVED it quite so much, nor found whale swimming for a plus-size girl quite so meaningful, but maybe trite. I do remember her watching another girl eat cheetos though...that visual will never leave me. Kudos to you and Collin, where ever he may be.

Basha1971 Jamie wrote: "I've been going back to add books I read as a kid--this was one of them. Of course, I wrote a glowing review and then started to read the others. Now, ten plus years later, I realize I probably w..."

I've been realizing that too. I'm going to have to go back and reread some of these or else stop writing reviews for books I'm not sure I remember so well. I might actually hate this book in 2009 and I gave it four stars!

All,,,praises,,to ,,allah if u dn't mid i wanna to knw hw to open the book without download it on my computer ,,thnx