Rose's Reviews > Stormbreaker

Jan 19, 10

liked it
bookshelves: mysteries, ya
Read in January, 2010

I've been meaning to try this series for ages, but it took me forever to finally buckle down and read the first installment, even though I've had the book lying around my flat for ages. And I'm pleased to say I was pleasantly surprised by the mix of wow-wouldn't-it-rock-to-be-a-spy wish fulfillment (which had less to do with how much fun Alex has being a spy -- that is to say, not much -- and more to do with the fact that he is so good at being one ... although the author does come up with a reasonable explanation for this all the same) and _realism_. Alex does not want to be a spy, does not have fun being a spy, and is more concerned with saving the world (well, England) and not getting himself killed in the process than he is Enjoying How Cool It All Is. There was some decent character development, to boot -- I would have enjoyed a little more (he took the death of his uncle abnormally in stride, for example), but this is primarily an action book, so I don't fault it for not giving me _quite_ the character development I consider optimum.

Still -- as someone who has never cared for the James Bond franchise, this book was exactly the spy novel I've been waiting for. I will definitely be reading more in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stormbreaker.