Liza's Reviews > Dead Until Dark

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Jan 19, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read from January 16 to 18, 2010

Having seen the television series "TrueBlood" with Anna Paquin prior to beginning to read this series, it is now impossible to imagine the character of Sookie as anyone else. However, reading this first novel of the series, I see how well-cast the show is.

Harris certainly demonstrates an excellent sense of humor via her protagonist Sookie Stackhouse and her perceptions of those around her. The character development is not impressive, but with a series like this it works better for the character's to be revealed subtly and slowly. I think this first novel has been pretty closely paralleled in many ways by the show, and I am glad for the ways that the program stays true to the novel. One change I like in the tv show is the power of the blood connection between vampire and "donor". In the book Bill does not seem to feel Sookie's emotional state the same way, specifically when she is in danger, as in the show, nor does he have the same capacity to keep track of her as in the show. It makes for a bit more equality in the book because Bill can't rush to Sookie's rescue if he does not know where she is and cannot find her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Until Dark.