Michael's Reviews > From Peanuts to the Pressbox: Insider Sports Stories from a Life Behind the Mic

From Peanuts to the Pressbox by Eli Gold

Jan 20, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, vine-program
Recommended for: sports fans
Read from January 19 to 20, 2010

You may wonder why an avowed Tennessee fan would read a book written by the radio voice of the Alabama Crimson Tide.

I have to admit I wondered that a few times myself, especially as I got into the chapters in which Eli Gold talks about working for the Crimson Tide.

But beyond the loyalty and love of one school over the other, there's something more to "From Peanuts to the Pressbox." The book is the journey of Gold from a young boy who loved sports and always wanted to get into the broadcasting side of the sport game as he worked hard, followed his dreams and learned the ropes.

And while there may be time the prose suffers a bit (Gold relies too much on exclamation points in the book), the enthusiasm and love for what he does always shines through. In many ways, this book is the embodiment of the old adage "If you do something you love, you'll never work a day in your life." Gold clearly has that love as the voice for just about every sport in the world and it comes through in his stories, recollections and memories.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Peanuts to the Pressbox.

01/19/2010 page 37