Mark Mallett's Reviews > Hugger Mugger

M 50x66
Apr 16, 10

bookshelves: detective, fiction, mystery
Read from April 09 to 14, 2010

Hugger Mugger, the title character, is a prize racehorse who doesn't feature in the story much, other than to help establish an environment. Somebody is shooting some horses of lesser value owned by the breeder, and Spenser, our intrepid private eye, is called upon to figure out why. He travels to Georgia to find that Things, needless to say, are not as they seem.

This is the 27th-ish book in the Spenser series by Robert B. Parker; I had read all (or at least most) of them up to this point, which is about when I stopped. The Spenser series had had its ups and downs, the worse of which was a bout of extreme Susan-ism from which it came back only to settle into a bit of sameness. When Parker died earlier this year, I couldn't help but add a couple of his books that I own but hadn't read to my queue, the first one being a non-Spenser book (Wilderness).

Hugger Mugger is a quick, easy, fun read, and I'm happy to have read it, but it suffers from being unremarkable. (Considering all the horses in abundance, it shouldn't be so pedestrian.) Hawk is completely missing, while Susan is present but mainly in the background. There are some other one-time characters to make up for them. This time, owing to the Atlanta-area setting I suppose, people drink more Coke than beer,and Spenser doesn't get to cook. By the end the mystery gets solved, women get saved, men with questionable value systems are put in their place, morality is upheld, Spenser returns to Boston, and there you have it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hugger Mugger.

04/09/2010 page 66
04/11/2010 page 108
35.18% "This book has amazingly thick paper, almost like postcard stock. It confuses me each time I go to turn a page."
show 2 hidden updates…