Sabrina's Reviews > The Lunatic Cafe

The Lunatic Cafe by Laurell K. Hamilton

Jan 26, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read from January 19 to 26, 2010

** spoiler alert ** It's a bit sad how Hamilton has some decent storylines, but manages to deliver them so poorly and secondary that the main point of this novel is a date-off between Jean-Claude and Richard. It doesn't really get any more superfluous than this - I hope! Considering there are still 13 more books to this series, I fear it probably will.

Anita went from "ok, she is not Buffy, but at least she's a bit kickass" to being just an ass. She's completely self-righteous and probably the biggest monster of them all. Whenever she goes around killing people, it's alright and no big deal, but everyone else just can't live up to her standards - which she makes up as she goes. Jean-Claude must have really had some horrible centuries if Anita Blake is his ideal woman.

The storywriting made me cringe - this is only the fourth book and there are already so many passages, phrases and character descriptions which are copied and pasted from the first one. I understand that you can have a few catch phrases which are repeated througout the series, but some passages about places (Anita's apartment, Jean-Claude's office..) are just 1:1 copied. Aswell as descriptions and characterisations of people which either show Hamilton's lack of writing skills or lack or interesting characters.
Descriptions of clothes and the not really interesting love triangle get more paragraphs than the actual story - which is really sad even for chick lit. The story and the twist is again not bad, but it's overshadowed by completely irrelevant babble.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lunatic Cafe.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cerri (new)

Cerri I recommend stopping soonish, because it will get much much worse. I thought the first 4/5 were okay. but after that it's *just* about the *romance*... well more like about the sex.