Carissa's Reviews > School of Fear

Jan 19, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: juvenile
Read in January, 2010

it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't ground-breaking and it didn't even go as far as similar books have gone in my past reading history. I found all of the "shocking surprises" to be predictable and yet the plot seemed to jump around at times, and i'd wonder if i missed something. For instance, at one point, they are woken up in the middle of the night and they learn of an emergency, so they creep around, trying not to wake up the bad guy, gathering supplies for their escape and then... they go back to bed? to wait to leave until morning? did i really read that right? The author also has a tendency to just tell us stuff about the characters instead of revealing it within the text--"he was also kind, genuine, sweetly naive, and a vault of unusual facts." these things all become apparent later in the story, did you really need to announce them in a summary sentence at the beginning of the book? I'm almost always leery of books where the author tells us the character's hair and eye color as part of their description.

All in all, it was an okay book, and less picky readers than me might actually enjoy it, but it was solidly meh, or maybe a bit sub-meh for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read School of Fear.