Thomas's Reviews > Mafia: The Government's Secret File on Organized Crime

Nov 02, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: true-crime
Read in November, 2007

Just received my copy today.

The book, supposedly a facsimile of the underworld binder-references used by the Federal Bureau of Narcotics (FBN), contains hundreds of single-page bios of mobsters. Most include mugshots. The information looks to be superficial, but birthdates, relatives, addresses, law enforcement file numbers and other details in the bios could lead determined researchers to additional information.

A couple of navigation problems: 1. The index has been placed at the front of the book. 2. Though the book is divided up into geographic sections, there is no table of contents to tell where section divisions occur.

The only portion of the book not originally FBN government document is the two-page foreword by Sam Giancana. That is completely forgettable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mafia.

message 1: by Rick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Thanks, Tom. I'll have to get a copy of this. It's sounds pretty limited but might provide some research leads anyhow. Must admit I groaned a bit at the "foreword by Sam Giancana" which is obviously Mooney's namesake nephew (I never have to digest "Double-Cross" except for laughs).
Rick

message 2: by Faith (new) - added it

Faith Dominguez Can you please tell me where I might be able to download this book in the formant of PDF and epub. Please help