Angie's Reviews > The Plains of Passage

The Plains of Passage by Jean M. Auel

Jan 26, 10

bookshelves: angie-n-mikes-library, eurasia-western-asia, europe-continental, female-protaganists-subjects, prehistoric-fiction, series
Read in January, 2010 , read count: 1

This was by far the weakest book of the series. Usually a journey provides a great frame for a plot line, but Ayla's and Jondalar's journey is way too much like a real journey: repetitive and dull. I think I'm more interested than most people in the climate and cultures of the Paleolithic, but I still found myself skimming over long sections that once again described the minute changes of scenery along their journey, or minutely described the details of a tool (for what seemed like the hundredth time). Also, I like a good sex scene as much as the next girl, but the repetitive, overly-detailed, pages-long, essentially-the-same sex scene repeated every few pages got very old. After a while, I pretty much just skipped ahead every time Jondalar and Ayla started goggling at each other. I liked the book and the series over all, and there were many interesting encounters on their journey, but by book #4 in this series the plodding pace can get a bit tiring. This is and its sequel Shelters of Stone are the first books I've ever read that I've actually skipped or skimmed over parts, I wish Auel would have skipped them instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plains of Passage.