Erin's Reviews > Someone Named Eva

Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf

F 50x66
Jan 19, 2010

Read in December, 2009

This is a youth fiction book, but we read it outloud as we traveled to Las Vegas for Christmas. It tells a story based on actual events in Czechoslovakia during World War II, that I had never known about. The Nazis destroyed the small city of Lidice as revenge for an assassination of a Nazi leader by a group of rebels believed to be from Lidice. They lined up and killed every man and boy, and sent all of the women and most of the children to work camps where the majority of them died of starvation and disease. They hand picked a small percent of children who appeared to have the physical characteristics of the ideal Aryan youth--correct nose size, blond hair, blue eyes, etc. They took these youth, brainwashed them in the Nazi doctrines, taught them to speak only German and then after 2 years, adopted them out to German families to be raised. These children forgot their native language, were told their parents were killed by Allied forces, and were indoctrinated in the Nazi ways.
Because Landon and I served missions in Czechoslovakia, this story was really facinating to us. It wasn't an especially well-written story, but the facts behind the story were very interesting and I wanted to learn more. The book was sad, but written in such a way that my 10-year old could listen and not become tramatized. She enjoyed the book as much as we did.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone Named Eva.