Brett Mclaughlin's Reviews > Reforming Marriage

Reforming Marriage by Douglas Wilson

Jan 22, 10

bookshelves: theology, marriage
Read from January 17 to 21, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I picked this book up as potential supplemental reading to another marriage book I'm using for some counseling, Sacred Marriage: Celebrating Marriage as a Spiritual Discipline. Douglas Wilson is a well-known reformed author, and I knew I wouldn't get "5 steps to happiness" or "7 tips for great loving."

While I continue to think that this is best as a supplemental book, it is good material. Wilson ruthlessly insists that the husband is to worship God, not his marriage; and to head his household with respect, humility, and responsibility. I appreciate both of these views, as I believe they are most consistent with Scripture.

The book is fairly short; 144 pages. That makes it a quick read. In particular, the chapters on "Headship and Authority," "Keeping Short Accounts," and the section on Nice-Guy Syndrome in "Miscellaneous Temptations" are excellent.

For the lengths, the quality of content within that short length, and the readability, this is an easy recommendation. I continue to believe that, of what I've read, Sacred Marriage: Celebrating Marriage as a Spiritual Discipline is the most thorough primer for marriage. This is a great text to add to that one, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reforming Marriage.

01/19/2010 page 50