Donna's Reviews > Thorn in My Heart

Thorn in My Heart by Liz Curtis Higgs

Feb 09, 10

bookshelves: christian
Read from February 05 to 09, 2010

I found the text in this book very immature for a reader or author of the 21st century. Characters are weak, dishonest, deceitful, and do not take responsibility for their actions. The descriptive writing that may win an A+ in a high school English class is boring, repetitious and tedious to follow.

The story line is agonizingly simple. Main characters are cruel and pray to god for forgiveness that they have sinned. It does not qualify as a historical fiction since it contains no history. The love story is not that at all rather a story of cruelty.

This book was recommended to me by a friend that knew I enjoy Diana Gabaldon's books. I borrowed the entire series to read one after the other as I've done with other Historical Fiction series. I finished the first book to be sure I've given the author a fair chance but I do not intent to read the rest of the series. Sorry Liz.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thorn in My Heart.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Donna This is what I would call a clean Christian book. There is no sex or foul language in the book and the characters frequently pray to the lord to be guided, forgiven, and redeemed.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

You wanted sex?!!! Dirty!!!! FYI a historical fiction is when a character and scenes set n historical time settings.

Donna Maayan, I didn't want sex. I stated that this book is good for someone that looks for a clean book and finds sex and foul language offensive.

Also, when I look for historical fiction I expect some reference to historical events in the story. Living in the past alone does not constitute historical fiction in my opinion.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I suppose, sorry, I didn't realize.. Sorry also that you found the book clearly annoying, personally I found Rose deceitful and jealous.