★ Jess 's Reviews > Neverwhere

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, 5-star-excellent, special-top-favorites-♥, read-in-2011, magnificent-writing
Read from December 10, 2010 to July 17, 2011

This is the best book I've read in a loooooong time. Gaiman has a magnificent imagination, and writes terrifically. I need to get my hands on some more of his other work, like American Gods.
This book was unbelievably good, with characters that will stay with me for ages to come: The Angel Islington, The assassins Mister Vandamer & Mister Croup, the quirky Marquis de Carabas, the creepy Velvets and so many more. Not to mention scenes and imagery! Some favorites that come to mind are the bridge through darkness, The Floating Market in the Harrods Food Court, and most particularly, the feast with Serpentine. The image of the characters eating a buffet on the long white table, and the small Tube Station as the trains zoom past, in my mind, is exceptional. Sort of like a demented, grown up Alice in Wonderland. Actually, I believe the whole book is a maturer version os Lewis Carrol's famous world. Gaiman himself said that what he was trying to create, and he did an fantastic job of it.
Neil Gaimain is an exceptional writer. Fantastic action scenes, beautiful imagery, awesome dialogue, rich suspense and very, very funny humor used at the right times. The only problem is now I have nothing to read. I tried starting five different books after finishing this, and cant get into any of them. Even books Ive been desperate to read for months, I threw aside. Why? Because Gaimans writing makes everything else Ive tried look like filth. Today I will go out and buy American Gods or Anansi Boys. If they are written half as well as this, Gaiman will find himself just below Markus Zusak on my list of favorite authors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neverwhere.

07/17/2011 page 299
78.0% "Loving this...Gaiman is terrific."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maggie I also just finished it yesterday, and loved it. Have heard conflicting reports of American Gods, and don't fancy that one myself.

message 2: by Lee (last edited Jul 19, 2011 10:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Neverwhere is a wonderful story, I am so glad you got round to reading it. I enjoyed American Gods, it is certainly worth giving it a go. I also enjoyed Omen from Gaiman, even if it was with Pratchett, who I havent read properly.

If you can get your hands on the TV series made in England of Neverwhere it is a fun watch. They used completely unknown actors and I enjoyed watching it.

We have just had a group read of Mievilles Perido St Station. You should read my review and see if its something you could try next.

LadyJane Stardust was really good. I love Stardust. If you can get your hands on it, you should read it.

Megan Chiming in on Stardust as a recommendation. It's a departure from Neverwhere and rather unusual (I thought I didn't like it the first time I read it) but if you let the story go at its own pace, it turns into a really remarkable book. Anansi Boys is also great. Gaiman really has a tremendous talent at what he does.